Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Radome, the large building that houses a Project Telstar antenna in Andover. Construction was still underway when the photo was taken. The Telstar satellite was launched in July 1962.
Built by Bell Systems, the Earth Station in Andover was part of an experimental technology that first allowed live television transmissions across the Atlantic.
About This Item
- Title: Radome, Andover, 1962
- Creation Date: 1962
- Subject Date: 1962
- Town: Andover
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 17.7 cm x 23.1 cm
- Local Code: Photographs -- Andover; 1186-67-2-c
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Project Telstar
- Comsat station (Andover, Me.)--Photographs
- Telecommunications industry--Maine--Andover--Photographs
- Earth stations (Satellite telecommunication)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.