Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Earth Station for Communicating by Satellites at Andover, built by the Bell System, communicated with the Telstar communications satellite.
Tests of the Telstar satellite began in July 1962. The station in Andover was part of a revolutionary communications system that broadcast television signals live from the U.S. to Europe.
About This Item
- Title: Earth Station, Andover, 1962
- Creation Date: 1962
- Subject Date: 1962
- Town: Andover
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 16.5 cm x 24.3 cm
- Local Code: Photographs -- Andover; 1186-67-2-d
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Project Telstar
- Telecommunications industry--Maine--Andover--Photographs
- Comsat station (Andover, Me.)--Photographs
- Earth stations (Satellite telecommunication)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.