Contributed by Franco-American Collection
An ice palace on Main Street near the intersection with Lisbon Street in Lewiston, built by the convention committee of the Lewiston snowshoe convention.
The palaces were an important part of the snowshoe conventions that drew thousands of participants from French Canada and Franco-American communities. The conventions included a parade, along with snowshoe competitions, among other activities.
About This Item
- Title: Lewiston ice palace, Main Street, 1926
- Creation Date: 1926
- Subject Date: 1926
- Town: Lewiston
- County: Androscoggin
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 5.4 cm x 7.8 cm
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Franco-American Collection
USM, 51 Westminster Street, Lewiston, ME 04240
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Snowshoes & snowshoeing--Maine--Lewiston
- Ice sculpture--Maine--Lewiston
- Castles & palaces--Maine--Lewiston
- French Americans--Maine--Lewiston
- Athletic clubs--Maine--Lewiston
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.