Contributed by Maine State Museum
A uniform of the Soviet Union Young Pioneer camp, Artek, that was given to Samantha Smith, 11, of Manchester, when she visited there in July 1983. She did not wear the red scarf which designated membership in the Young Pioneers.
The camp in the Crimea on the Black Sea was for elite youth and top students. Smith spent several days there while she and her parents were in the Soviet Union at the invitation of leader Yuri Andropov.
Samantha had written to him asking about war and his plans. He replied and assured her that he wanted peace and invited her to visit the Soviet Union.
About This Item
- Title: Samantha Smith Artek uniform, 1983
- Creation Date: circa 1983
- Subject Date: circa 1983
- Media: Cotton
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Museum
Maine State Museum, 83 state house station, Augusta, ME 04333
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Artek Pioneer Camp (Ukraine)
- International relations
- Ukrainians--Clothing and dress
- Political activity
- Smith, Samantha, 1972-1985--Associated objects
- Smith, Samantha, 1972-1985--Travel
- Cold War
- Children and peace
- Smith, Samantha, 1972-1985--Correspondence
- Andropov, Yuri Vladimirovich, 1914-1984--Correspondence
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.