Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A crowd watches as the MacMillan Expedition to the Arctic in the schooner Bowdoin gets underway from Wiscasset.
Donald B. MacMillan, a graduate of Bowdoin College, was an explorer, sailor, teacher, philanthropist, researcher, and lecturer who made more than 30 expeditions to the Arctic. He had accompanied Arctic explorer Robert Peary in his 1905 attempt to reach the North Pole.
Cameras are situated at the end of the dock to capture the event.
About This Item
- Title: Schooner Bowdoin passing the dock, Wiscasset, 1926
- Creator: Portland Press Herald , Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1926-06-19
- Subject Date: 1926-06-19
- Town: Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.13495
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Arrivals & departures--Maine--Wiscasset
- Bowdoin (Ship)
- MacMillan, Donald Baxter, 1874-1970
- Piers & wharves--Maine--Wiscasset
- Sailing ships
- Sailing ships--Maine
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.