Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Crowds gather to see the Bowdoin off in Wiscasset.
In a "Special Dispatch" to "The Sunday Telegram" on June 20, 1926 the scene from this day was recorded as "Flags flying, salutes booming from the shore, and a wildly cheering crowd shouting itself hoarse on the deck, the doughty little schooner Bowdoin slid away form her berth at 3:30 this afternoon, bound for the Arctic for the fourth time."
About This Item
- Title: Embarkation of MacMillan Expedition, Wiscasset, 1926
- Creator: Portland Press Herald , Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1926-06-19
- Subject Date: 1926-06-19
- Town: Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 10.8 cm x 8.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.13513
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.