Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Car No. 2 on Old Orchard Beach, where auto racing was held at least from 1911 to 1913.
The beach at low tide made a good racing surface; races could take place two hours either side of low tide.
The start and finish line was the pier and Googins' Rocks was the southernmost turning point.
About This Item
- Title: Car No. 2, Old Orchard Beach, ca. 1912
- Creator: Portland Press Herald
- Creation Date: circa 1912
- Subject Date: circa 1912
- Local Name: Googins' Rocks
- Town: Old Orchard Beach
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.1050
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Automobile racing--Maine--Old Orchard
- Fortune telling--Maine--Old Orchard
- Men--Clothing & dress--Maine--Old Orchard
- Old Orchard Ocean Pier (Old Orchard Beach, Me.)
- Piers & wharves--Maine--Old Orchard
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.