Contributed by Maine State Archives
Chapman National Bank of Portland notified Dr. Estes Nichols, superintendent of the Maine Sanatorium in Hebron, that the facility was overdrawn by about $3,500 from the end of August to the middle of September, 1908.
Bank Cashier Thomas H. Eaton wrote that he knew the Sanatorium would pay the overdrafts, but the bank was under pressure from its directors and the U.S. Bank Examiners to not allow overdrafts.
The privately funded tuberculosis sanatorium faced financial challenges as many patients were unable to pay their full bills. The state provided some funding to help with indigent patients.
About This Item
- Title: Sanatorium overdraft notice, 1908
- Creator: Eaton, Thomas H.
- Creation Date: 1908-10-13
- Subject Date: 1908-10-13
- Town: Hebron, Portland
- County: Cumberland, Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 2613-076, Box 1/1908, October 1-15
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Archives
84 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Western Maine Sanatorium
- Sick persons
- Tuberculosis hospitals--Maine
- Hospitals, convalescent--Maine--Hebron
- Maine State Sanatorium
- Chapman National Bank--Records and correspondence
- Nichols, Estes--Correspondence
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.