Iron axe head, Auburn, ca. 1700
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This iron axe was found at the head of Lake Auburn. It probably was traded to Native Americans by Europeans for furs or other materials. It is made in the French style.
Axes like this were important and common trade items.
- Title: Iron axe head, Auburn, ca. 1700
- Creation Date: circa 1700
- Subject Date: circa 1700
- Town: Auburn
- County: Androscoggin
- State: ME
- Media: Iron
- Dimensions (cm): 10.3 x 5
- Local Code: Penney Collection #111
- Collection: Penney Collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.