Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Grenville F. Sparrow, age 25, of Portland enlisted in Co. B of the 17th Regiment Maine Infantry Volunteers as a private on July 24, 1862. A few weeks later, he was promoted to sergeant and, by the time he left the service, he was a captain.
Sparrow's enlistment form shows that he worked as a clerk at the time of his enlistment and that he had blue eyes and dark hair.
About This Item
- Title: Volunteer enlistment form, Portland, 1862
- Creation Date: 1862-07-24
- Subject Date: 1862-07-24
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2293, Scrapbook 3
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Military service, Voluntary
- Recruiting and enlistment
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.