Springvale Following the Great Blizzard of 1888
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This is one in a series of photographs showing downtown Springvale following the blizzard of March 12, 1888. The house at the right stood where the Springvale Post Office is situated today (in 2013). It was the home of Samuel D. Hanson, Springvale grocer, and his daughter Angelette Hanson Gile, longtime Springvale librarian. The home was moved back to Butler Street when the Post Office was constructed in 1961. The next four buildings seen in this photograph, on the same side of the street, were built by the Springvale Print Works in the 1830s. The Springvale House can be seen on the left side of the photograph.