Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Winfield Scott (1786-1866), who helped negotiate a truce in the Aroostook War, wrote from Augusta to Henry A. S. Dearborn (1751-1829) in Boston.
Scott notes that he must prepare for war if negotiations fail in the boundary dispute between Maine and Canada.
About This Item
- Title: Winfield Scott letter to Gen. Henry Dearborn, 1839
- Creator: Scott, Winfield
- Creation Date: 1839-03-27
- Subject Date: 1839
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 420, Box 57/21
- Collection: John S. H. Fogg autograph collection
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Aroostook War, 1839
- Dearborn, H. A. S. (Henry Alexander Scammell), 1783-1851--Correspondence
- Scott, Winfield, 1786-1866--Correspondence
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.