Charles W. Eliot, Mount Desert, 1904
Charles W. Eliot (1834-1926) was one of the founders of the Northeast Harbor summer colony.
He was president of Harvard from 1869 to 1909.
Eliot's son, Charles came to Northeast Harbor beginning in 1880 with some of his college peers. Together they set up the Champlain Society and studied many of the scientific aspects of Mt. Desert Island.
The younger Eliot encouraged his father to purchase property in Northeast Harbor, and by the fall of 1881, the Eliots had moved into their new house, called Blueberry Ledge, designed by Peabody and Stearns.