Contributed by Old Orchard Beach Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
On July 24, 1927, Charles Lindbergh made an unexpected stop at Old Orchard Beach. The field he was due to land in was fogbound, but he knew he had a much larger landing strip at Old Orchard.
Here, Spirit of St. Louis is backed into Harry Jones' hangar and guarded by local policemen (Sgt. Lewis Fowler identified as second from left).
Lindbergh is center, and on far right in suit is a reporter who had been following Lindbergh's cross-country good-will flight for the New York Daily Mirror newspaper.
About This Item
- Title: Charles Lindbergh, Old Orchard Beach, 1927
- Creation Date: 1927-07-24
- Subject Date: 1927-07-24
- Town: Old Orchard Beach
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8.5 cm x 14 cm
- Local Code: HJScr3_p014_003
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Old Orchard Beach Historical Society
P.O. Box 464, Old Orchard, ME 04064
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Runways (Aeronautics)
- Air pilots
- Harry Jones Flying Service (Old Orchard Beach, Me.)
- Jones, Harry M., 1890-1973--Friends & associates
- Lindbergh, Charles A. (Charles Augustus), 1902-1974
- Transatlantic flights
- Transcontinental flights
- Spirit of St. Louis (Airplane)
- Newspaper reporters
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.