Ship Lydia Skolfield
Photograph of ship painting made by George B. Webber. This ship was part of the George Skolfield Fleet built in the Brunswick shipyard. Written on painting: Lydia Skolfield from Chinchas to Liverpool 1865.
Master George Skolfield's last major vessel, the Lydia Skolfield was named after his wife. The ship was 1,201 tons and launched in 1860. The Lydia Skolfield had a reputation as an unusually well-built ship. When surveyed in 1873, after 13 years of service, she was classified A-1, "fit for the carriage of all kinds of cargoes on all voyages." Eleven years later, in 1884, when she was refastened with wooden trunnels, a crew of carpenters found "not a particle of rot" in any of 1800 borings in her planking.