John G. Dillingham letter to wife, May 9, 1861
Contributed by Freeport Historical Society
Capt. John G. Dillingham is aboard the Callao in the Chinchas Islands, Peru, loading guano.
He writes about gifts for his family and a potato speculation he entered into. At the end of the letter is the first mention of the Civil War.
- Title: John G. Dillingham letter to wife, May 9, 1861
- Creator: Dillingham, John Griffin
- Creation Date: 1861-05-09
- Subject Date: 1861
- Local Name: Guano Island
- Town: Cape Horn, Chinchas Islands, Freeport
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: paper
- Local Code: 1861-05-09 JGD to MDD letter
- Collection: Dillingham family papers, Coll 135
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Freeport Historical Society
45 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Dillingham, Margaret Dennison, 1818-1878--Correspondence
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Clothing and dress
Dillingham, John G. (John Griffen), 1808-1869--Correspondence
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.