WAVES, Brunswick Naval Air Station, ca. 1945
Two unidentified WAVES work in the Brunswick Naval Air Station operations office.
The base was commissioned on April 15, 1943, initially to train Royal Canadian Air Force pilots of the British Naval Command in formation flying, gunnery procedures, and carrier landings.
Use of the Navy Base quickly included American pilots during World War II and after to search the Atlantic Ocean for enemy submarines and ships, as well as rescue missions.
The Base was deactived in 1947 with the close of World War II, but was quickly reactivated in 1951 for the start of the Cold War.