Fryeburg Academy, ca. 1777
Drawing of the original Fryeburg Academy building, located in Fryeburg, Maine. Originally, school was taught in private homes, until 1777 when money was appropriated to build a schoolhouse. Citizens were interested in subjects such as Latin, Greek and English being taught to their children. In 1791 residents from Fryeburg, Brownfield and Conway agreed to support a new school, Fryeburg Academy. The school was incorporated in 1792.
The Academy was known as a "fitting school" for Bowdoin College, focusing on teacher training. For a short time the Academy was also on the way to becoming a medical school, but that soon gave way to its traditional comprehensive education courses - a preparatory school for college and life.
There's a distinguished list of people involved with the school, including Daniel Webster, who was the Headmaster of the Academy in 1806.
The school was rebuilt in its present location in 1853, after the Brownfield fire, and remains one of the region's finest academic institutions.