Grange #304 members, Alexander, ca. 1950
Alexander Grange #304 POH was organized on August 24, 1889. In 1908 Charles and Lizzie Brown granted the Grange a lot of land 70 feet by 110 feet next to the Methodist -Episcopal Church on Townsend Hill. That fall, J. M. Stuart of Milltown built the hall. He hired Archie Beaney to cut granite for the foundation. The granite came from a surface quarry at the end of the Tommy Long Road. The doorstep has the year 1908 chiseled into it. Like many Grange Halls of the day, the meeting room was on the second floor and the first floor had a kitchen and dining area. A privy was attached and out back was a stable that held 16 horses. This stable was used during Grange meetings and dances. This picture was taken about 1950. In the back row are Hazel (Cousins) Frost (1902-1993), Ethel (McArthur) Wallace (1916-1986), her husband Herman Wallace (1901-1979), Tommy Long (1895-1983), and Nelson Flood (1907-1987). Seated on the left is Carrie (Dwelley) Varnum (1880-1966), Abraham F. Long (1870-1953) is at center. He is Tommy's father. Front right is Annie (Watson) Flood (1869-1963), Nelson's mother. The sash that Nelson is wearing indicates that he was on the Executive Committee.