Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Henry Thurston Clark, a baggage agent in Bangor, sent this valise cross-country in 1873 to prove the feasibility of shipping unaccompanied items by rail.
The valise left Halifax, Nova Scotia, on August 14, 1873 and arrived in San Francisco on September 15, after being detained in Omaha for 23 days. It made the return trip to Halifax in eight days.
About This Item
- Title: Henry Thurston Clark trunk, ca. 1872
- Creator: Parkhurst & Webb
- Creation Date: circa 1872
- Subject Date: circa 1872
- Town: Bangor, Halifax, San Francisco
- County: Penobscot
- State: CA, ME, NS
- Media: Wood, metal, leather, tin
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 44 cm x 26 cm
- Local Code: 2005.001.001
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.