Cary House, Military St., Houlton, ca. 1925
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Cary House was built by Carys in the early 1800s. It was a center of social events for army officers at Hancock Barracks (1828-1845) during the period of the Border Dispute and the Bloodless Aroostook War.
Shepard Cary was a merchant, lumber baron, Maine State Legislator, and U.S. Representative.