Mace Homestead, Bangor, circa 1861
The Mace family constructed this graystone mansion on 2.5 acres on State Street in Bangor, overlooking the Penobscot River, in 1861. The home was later sold to the Sterns family. Bangor General Hospital and Nurses School opened in the Stern House and received their first patient on June 7, 1892 and was incorporated on December 16, 1892. Before their lease ran out, Bangor General Hospital purchased the building in 1894. In 1897 Bangor General Hospital was granted a charter by the Legislature and became Eastern Maine General Hospital. Eastern Maine General Hospital later became Eastern Maine Medical Center (1969), which is now a member of Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems. The Mace Homestead, or "graystone" as it is fondly called by local residents and hospital employees, is the cornerstone of Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems' existence.