Gorham Academy, Gorham, ca. 1880
The Gorham Academy opened in 1806. Thomas McLellan gave an acre of land on which to erect the academy.
Samuel Elder contracted to put up the wooden building, 50 ft. long, 40 ft. wide, two stories high with a cupola for a bell. This was the first bell hung in Gorham.
It was one of Gorham's best examples of Georgian architecture in New England.
It originally "fitted boys for college," and later became jointly organized with the femaie seminary. When public education developed, it was leased to the Normal School on School Street and later became part of the University of Southern Maine.