Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A political cartoon about the prohibition of alcohol. Maine was the first state to prohibit sale of alcohol in 1851. Prohibition became part of the state constitution in 1885.
A repeal effort failed in 1911. In 1934, a year after national prohibition was repealed, Maine's prohibition of alcohol law was repealed.
About This Item
- Title: Prohibition cartoon, ca. 1851
- Creator: Bunker, Benjamin
- Creation Date: circa 1851
- Subject Date: circa 1851
- State: ME
- Media: Drawing
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: OS - 11
- Collection: Political cartoons
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine--Politics and government--Caricatures and cartoons
- Cartoons (Commentary)
- Political cartoons
- Maine--History--Caricatures and cartoons
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.