Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This Portland Company-built locomotives has a builder's plate that shows it was built in 1863. The plate also has "U.S." cast into it.
While the Portland Company did build engines especially for the government for war use in 1864, this locomotive may have been intended for a private road, but taken for government use.
About This Item
- Title: Portland Company Civil War locomotive, ca. 1863
- Creator: Portland Company
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: Coll. 242, Box 35 Folder 35/47
- Collection: Portland Company records
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.