Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Gladys Hasty Carroll, author, by the playhouse where As the Earth Turns was performed in South Berwick.
Carroll's novel about farm life in southern Maine, published in 1933, was turned into a movie in 1934. Carroll and her followers disliked the film version, so created a play based on the book and performed it each summer in South Berwick.
About This Item
- Title: Gladys Hasty Carroll, South Berwick, 1937
- Creator: Whitney, G. Herbert
- Creation Date: 1937-07-31
- Subject Date: 1937-07-31
- Town: South Berwick
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 553, v. 1
- Collection: Whitney, George Herbert Interesting Interviews
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Authors, American--20th century--Maine
- Carroll, Gladys Hasty, (1904-)--As the earth turns
- Carroll, Gladys Hasty, (1904-)--Homes and haunts--Maine--South Berwick
- Folk drama, American--Maine--South Berwick
- Open air theaters--Maine--South Berwick
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.