Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Captain Donald Baxter MacMillan is shown here onboard his schooner Bowdoin in 1925 departing for an Arctic voyage.
MacMillan named his vessel Bowdoin, to honor his alma mater. He taught school for a few years before being recruited as an assistant by Admiral Robert E. Peary to sail on a 1908 Arctic expedition.
About This Item
- Title: Capt. MacMillan, Schooner Bowdoin, 1925
- Creator: Portland Press Herald
- Creation Date: 1925
- Subject Date: 1925
- Town: Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.11053
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Arrivals & departures--Maine--Wiscasset
- Bowdoin (Schoooner)--Photographs
- Bowdoin College (Me.)--Alumni & alumnae
- Expeditions & surveys--Arctic regions
- Macmillan, Donald Baxter (1874-)--Photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.