Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Manuscript map showing the township with numbered lots in Jay, also known as Phipp's Canada, Canton, and Livermore Falls granted by the General Court, June 11, 1771. The Androscoggin River is pictured here.
This map was commissioned to be made by the Plymouth Company, the proprietorship responsible for settling lands 15 miles either side of the Kennebec River in Maine.
This is manuscript map #5.
About This Item
- Title: Androscoggin River area map, 1771
- Creator: Shepard, Alex.
- Creation Date: 1774-12-20
- Subject Date: 1771-06-11
- Local Name: Phipps Canada
- Town: Canton, Jay, Livermore Falls
- County: Androscoggin, Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper, wash, map
- Dimensions: 49 cm x 69 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 60, Map 5
- Collection: Plymouth Company (1749-1816) records
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Androscoggin River (N.H. and Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Canton (Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Cardinal points
- Jay (Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Land grants--Maine--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Land tenure--Maine
- Livermore Falls (Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Manuscript maps
- Plymouth Company, (1749-1816)--Records and correspondence--Maps--Early works to 1800
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.