Americanization class, Boys Club, Portland
Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Various organizations, especially after World War I, sought to teach established civic values and English to newcomers.
This photograph shows children of many ethnic backgrounds in an Americanization class at the Portland Boys Club in 1923. Old Glory dominates the room.
- Title: Americanization class, Boys Club, Portland
- Creator: Portland Press Herald
- Creation Date: 1923
- Subject Date: 1923
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Black and white photograph, glass negative
- Dimensions (cm): 5 x 6
- Local Code: Coll. 1949 ; 2005.061.6345 ; Photographs--Portland--Schools--Americanization
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Share what you know about this item
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.