Plan of part of the Eastern Shore, 1753
This manuscript map numbered 56-2-1 was created by Thomas Johnston in 1753 and shows the granted land on both sides of the Kennebec River, church buildings in Brunswick, Falmouth and North Yarmouth and the town of Norridgewock. Land shown includes Casco Bay from Cape Elizabeth to Pemaquid Point, and from Georgetown to Norridgewock along the Kennebec River. Names on the map include Lawson, John North, Joseph Heath, Pineas Jones and E. Hutchinson. Two compass roses adorn the map along with two men in the cartouche stating, "God hath Planted us here, God deeded this land to us." Great controversy surrounded this and subsequent maps created by Thomas Johnston showing land ownership along the Kennebec. This is considered the first Johnston map, 1753. This map is also known as the 'talking indians' map.