Contributed by Cary Library
The Town of Houlton issued a receipt for payment to Black Hawk Putnam for obtaining a substitute for conscription.
Putnam had served as a captain in Co. E of the 1st Maine Cavalry, but resigned and was discharged in February 1863.
Putnam paid for Alexander Gervin to serve as his substitute. Gervin was mustered into the 3rd Maine on September 25, 1864.
About This Item
- Title: Putnam payment for conscription substitute, Houlton, 1864
- Creator: Town of Houlton
- Creation Date: 1864-05-04
- Subject Date: 1864-05-04
- Town: Houlton
- County: Aroostook
- State: ME
- Media: paper
- Dimensions: 13.2 cm x 20 cm
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Cary Library
107 Main Street, Houlton, ME 04730
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Bounties, Military
- Recruiting and enlistment
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army--Recruiting and enlistment, etc.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.