Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
This picture was painted by an unknown artist who was a German prisoner of war at Camp Houlton, a German POW internment camp.
It was given as a wedding gift by Walton Haase, Gunther Magdeburg and Gerhard Nowitsky, German POWs, to John D. (Don) Willard, a Camp Houlton guard, and Marion Corneil, August 31, 1945.
About This Item
- Title: German POW painting, Houlton, 1945
- Creation Date: 1945
- Subject Date: 1945
- Local Name: P.O.W. Camp
- Town: Houlton
- County: Aroostook
- State: ME
- Media: oil painting
- Dimensions: 40.4 cm x 30.2 cm
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
109 Main Street, Houlton, ME 04730
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners
- Concentration camps--Maine--Houlton
- United States. Army--Facilities--Maine--Houlton
- Prisoners of war--German--Maine--Houlton
- Still life paintings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.