Titcomb shipyard, Kennebunk Landing, ca. 1850-60
The Titcomb shipyard on the Kennebunk River in the Kennebunk Landing section of town was the last functioning yard at The Landing. This late photograph of the yard and some of its workers was made from a daguerreotype thought to date from the 1850s. It is a rare view of a yard at The Landing, which was the earliest and most prolific location for shipbuilding on the Kennebunk River (from 1790 to about 1860). The shipyard's office building is on the left. Shipbuilding timbers, including a "ship's knee" lie on the ground in the foreground.