Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Wong My, a student in the Chinese Sunday School at South Parish Congregational Church in Augusta, poses for a portrait.
The Second Parish Presbyterian Church opened a Chinese Sunday School in the 1880s and Portland's First Baptist Church held a similar school from 1902 into the 1950s.
About This Item
- Title: Wong My, Augusta, ca. 1890
- Creator: Ayer
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Photoprint
- Dimensions: 16 cm x 11 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2080, Box 5
- Collection: Chinese American collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Chinese Americans--Maine--Augusta
- Chinese--United States--Maine--Augusta
- Church work with immigrants
- Immigrants--United States--Maine--Augusta
- My, Wong--Portrait photographs
- Religious education--Maine--Augusta
- South Parish Congregatioal Church (Augusta, Me.)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.