Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This aerial photograph of Portland's Park Avenue, documented what appears to be a box-car derby race. Note the starting ramp on the right.
The surrounding athletic facilities include the Portland Stadium (renamed Fitzpatrick Stadium in 1989), the Portland Exposition Building and Richardson Field. Richardson Field was rebuilt and renamed as Hadlock Field in the 1990s.
About This Item
- Title: Derby Race, Park Avenue, Portland ca. 1930
- Creator: Portland Press Herald
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Local Name: Parkside
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.268
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Aerial photographs
- Portland (Me.)--Aerial views
- Portland Exposition Building (Portland, Me.)
- Portland Stadium (Portland, Me.)
- Richardson Field (Portland, Me.)
- Soap box derbies--Maine-Portland
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.