Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This seven stanza poem recounted the wreck of the steamer "Portland", which sank off the coast of Massachusetts in November of 1898. Built that same year in Bath, the "Portland" operated between Portland and Boston during her brief time at sea.
The wreckage was located in 1989 at Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary between Cape Cod and Cape Ann.
About This Item
- Title: Poem memorializing the loss of the steamer "Portland," 1899
- Creator: Eldridge, Frederick R.
- Creation Date: 1899
- Subject Date: 1898
- Town: Chatham
- County: Barnstable
- State: MA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 33 cm x 25.5 cm
- Local Code: Broadside 111
- Collection: Broadside Collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.