Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
E. Joseph Leighton of Sheepscot made this postcard of the "Rock Hill Inn". Jonas Shattuck Knight and his wife, Albertine "Aunt Teen" Colby Knight lived at the Rock Hill Inn. Like most homeowners, they took in one or more summer boarders in the early 1900s before automobile travel created the “car culture”.
Boarders usually arrived by boat from Bath at the Upper or Lower Landing and arrived by horse and carriage to the boarding houses on Westport Island.
About This Item
- Title: The Rock Hill Inn, Westport Island, ca. 1908
- Creator: Leighton, E. Joseph
- Creation Date: circa 1908
- Subject Date: circa 1908
- Town: Westport Island
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 8.9 cm x 13.8 cm
- Local Code: ColbyGreenleaf.Postcard.49.circa1908
- Collection: Colby Greenleaf Collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.