Contributed by Pownal Scenic and Historical Society
This country store, located on the Lawrence Road in Pownal, is pictured here circa 1886-1900 when owned by Lyman F. Sawyer.
The store was established by Benjamin Randall in 1826, and was tended by him and his son, Elmer W. Randall, for many years. Items sold included groceries, dry goods, hats, caps, boots, shoes, general hardware, grains, and livestock.
The store served the North Pownal community until 1941, when it was sold to the North Pownal Community Club Association. Although remodeled, the major structure exists today and continues in active use.
About This Item
- Title: Benjamin Randall Store, Pownal, ca. 1895
- Creation Date: circa 1895
- Subject Date: circa 1895
- Local Name: North Pownal
- Town: Pownal
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7.5 cm x 10.3 cm
- Collection: Pownal Scenic and Historical Society
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Pownal Scenic and Historical Society
584 Poland Range Road, Pownal, ME 04069
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Benjamin Randall Country Store (Pownal, Me.)--Photographs
- Stores, Retail--Maine--Pownal
- North Pownal Community Club Association (Me.)--History
- Country Stores
- FoundationsBenjamin Randall
- North Pownal
- Sale Items
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.