Main Street south from the Brook, Rockland, ca. 1875
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This is a view looking south up Main Street from where Lindsey Brook runs under Main Street in Rockland.
The cross street in the foreground is Lindsey Street. On the left side of Main Street ate the Nathan Jones Lumber Yard and the H.H. Crie Hardware, Iron & Steel Co. on Main Street are in the forefront of this photograph. Farther up the road are two frame buildings and then the two-story, brick Berry Block, built in 1855; the three-story, brick Wise & Kimball Block containing the John P. Wise Stove Co., built in 1853; the long, three-story, brick Kimball Block built in 1848 and rebuilt after the fire in 1853; the Custom House Block, built in 1853; several small frame buildings; the Wilson & White Block, often called Phoenix Hall, built in 1856; and the Thorndike Hotel, built in 1854. Many horse-drawn carriages are in view.
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.